3 Tips to Help You Succeed In College
What do you do when you’re at home or in the dorms, homework up to your eyeballs, and just can’t seem to get caught up? Maybe you are even tempted to reach for the latest alertness aid so you can stay awake and pull another all-nighter.
Take just a second, allow yourself to breathe, and read these tips to try and tackle that mountain of homework. They just may give you a foundation to help you succeed throughout your entire college career.
•Prioritize: Stop everything you are doing!
1. Pull out a sheet of paper and write down your list of assignments. Next to each assignment, write down the due date. For essays, write down the number of pages required as well.
2. Now, go through the list and number them in order of importance. Let’s say today is Thursday. Something due tomorrow, for instance, would get a 10. If it’s not due until Monday, maybe give it a five. Rank each assignment from 10 to one as you see appropriate to your abilities.
3. Gather everything up that you gave a five or less and move it to a safe, secure location, but one that is out of sight.
4. Now, break down your remaining assignments into what’s due first, but also what’s going to take the longest to complete.
5. Methodically go through everything until you feel like you are the one in control and not just randomly doing assignments thrown at you.
•Organize: Once you get caught up on assignments, take the time to organize your desk area.
1. Put away books you don’t use every day and organize those you do need to keep nearby.
2. Get a small desk organizer to keep pens, highlighters, stapler, or paperclips in. This will help declutter things, and you’ll always know where to look when you need to staple that five-page essay as you’re walking out the door.
3. Invest in a small two-drawer cabinet to keep extra loose-leaf paper, printer paper, or assignments that aren’t top priority. It can even double as a printer stand.
4. Once you are organized it will make prioritizing assignments easier in the future.
•Dedicate: With your desk organized, you don’t want to be cluttering it with textbooks you don’t need that day. Dedicate and prepare your space for the upcoming day.
1. Prepare your backpack for the coming day. Make sure you pack only the books required for that day to avoid back strain. If you’re going to be having a study session then make sure you bring those materials as well.
2. If you have a large break in the day where you will be returning home, then pack your bag separately to further avoid any kind of strain, especially when adding extra books for study sessions.
3. Have a dedicated place for books and folders not being used that day so they don’t clutter your desk space and make studying difficult when you get home.
With these three quick tips, you can get a basic foundation of staying organized for success in college. Leave a comment letting me know your favorite way to stay organized when overloaded with assignments!